If there's a silver lining to the end of the summer, it's that Edmonton's performing arts organizations are once again getting into the swing of things! Here's seven reasons why you should join us at the opera this season.
7. This is the season to be impressed by opera. Listen live to some of the most difficult arias in opera, as each production has one aria listed on the Top 10 Horrifyingly Difficult Opera Arias.
6. Hear bel canto twice, with The Barber of Seville and Lucia di Lammermoor. With bel canto style opera, every song starts easy but then gets hard, challenging the audience to listen for musical statements and vocal colour, as Seattle Opera explains in this blog post.
5. Introduce someone else to the opera. Explorers members (18-29) can purchase a $25 membership and receive two $20 tickets to each production this season, while encore! memberships (30-40) are free, and offer great discounts on subscriptions! An outing to the opera is a great reason to have a stylish night out with some friends or as a date. (And, might we add — if you're hoping for a fun night out where no one dies, The Barber of Seville is exactly that!)
4. Canadian soprano Simone Osborne, who was recently named by CBC as one of 30 outstanding classical musicians under 30, will make her role and company debut in the title spot of Lucia di Lammermoor in April. An intense drama, this classic opera explores madness and the dark edges of beauty.
3. Experience a really, really cool set for The Magic Flute, where, in the style of an exotic pop-up book, the audience is constantly confronted with something popping up, sliding down or dropping in to change the setting and mood. (By the way, our tech director keeps tweeting top-secret photos of the set design and build!)
2. Rossini's chattering rhythms in The Barber of Seville are infectious, plus, the melodies have been made famous by one particular wascally wabbit. Allison Grant (Die Fledermaus, February 2014) returns to direct this stylish comedy set on a movie studio backlot in 1940s Seville.
1. Subscriptions offer a great way to save on all three operas (up to 30 per cent compared to single tickets) and single tickets are also affordable, starting at $40 on the main floor. However you choose to escape to the opera with us, be sure to leave enough time to once again take advantage of the complimentary parking in the Jubilee parkade!